C.S.A. Colonel William Parker.
The Civil War in Chesterfield County - Howlett Line
The Bermuda Hundred Campaign of 1864 Howlett LIne Park 14100 Howlett Line Road
Marker can be reached from Ware Bottom Spring Road 0.1 miles east of Old Stage Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. This marker is located within the Parker’s Battery Unit of the Richmond National Battlefield Park.Howlett Line Park was one of the first areas preserved by Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia volunteer, George Fickett. Working with the developer, the site was preserved during construction of the existing housing development. The interior of the fort serves as a drain field for several houses downhill from the park. The site contains one of the largest artillery positions along the Howlett Line
On June 2, 1864 Col. Olin M. Dantzler led an attack from the site toward a nearby Federal position known as Fort Dutton. Using the ravine just to the south of Howlett Line Park as cover, Dantzler moved his men to within 150 yards of the fort. Dantzler and his men emerged from the ravine and pushed back part of the 7th Connecticut before they were met with canister from the guns at Fort Dutton. Col. Dantzler and 16 of his men were killed in the failed assault.
Parkers Battery occupied this site until the fall of Petersburg on April 2, 1865, when they joined Lee on his retreat to Appomattox. After the war, members of the company purchased this property and held reunions here. In the 1930’s, as the last members of the company began to pass on, the land was donated to the National Park Service. ificent view of the James River. Living history events are frequently held at the park in the Spring and Fall. Parkers Battery is a part of the Richmond National Battlefield. The site features a walking trail with several interpretive signs. There is a historical marker at the park.