Magnolia Grange c. 1983
Magnolia Grance c. 1983

Chesterfield County Historic Sites - 1822 Magnolia Grange

You are here:  homepage>>Site Index >>Historic Sites>>Historic Magnolia Grange

Visit The Historic Magnolia Grange in Chesterfield, VA Telephone:  (804)796-1479

Virtual Tour of Magnolia Grange  (large media file)

  Hispanic Tour   Viaje de Hacienda de Magnolia

Own” a piece of history By donating to the Revive MagnoliaGrange Campaign  Go hereNew Item

Historic Magnolia Grange, located at 10020 Iron Bridge Road in Chesterfield, is a Virginia Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places.  It is a two story, pre-Civil War, white painted brick laid in Flemish bond at the front and American bond at the sides and the rear.  The house is a double-piled, central passage plan house, with four interior end chimneys.

Emily CogbillBuilt in 1822 by William Winfree, Magnolia Grange is a handsome Federal-style plantation house named after the circle of magnolia trees that once graced its front lawn. It was originally part of a large land grant to John Worsham in 1691. Here also were a tavern and gristmill in addition to the residence and its dependencies.  The families who have called Magnolia Grange home -- the Winfrees, and later the DuVals and the Cogbills (Mrs. Emily Cogbill -see picture insert) -- all have made important contributions to life in Chesterfield County and the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Noted for its distinctive architecture, Magnolia Grange contains elaborate ceiling medallions as well as sophisticated carving on mantels, doorways, and window enframements. Careful paint restoration has been executed through wood graining and marbleizing. Scenic wallpaper by Zuber and carpeting of the period combine with authentic furnishings to return the house to the 1820s.

The well-preserved house was based on designs from Asher Benjamin's American Builder's Companion (1806), an architectural pattern book used widely by Virginia builders. The house retains virtually all of its ornate woodwork; most significant are elaborate ceiling medallions and the Federal mantels with slender Ionic columns supporting an embellished entablature and deeply molded cornice. The house was restored in the 1970s, with extensive marbleizing and the installation of Zuber scenic wallpaper. In 1984 the site was acquired by Chesterfield County and is now a museum administered by the Chesterfield Historical Society. A variety of living history programs offered at Magnolia Grange bring the 19th century to life.  Today, Magnolia Grange continues to contribute to the lives of its visitors, welcoming them to an interpretation of life in a county mansion of the early 19th century

Tours are $5.00 for adults; $4.00 for seniors; $3.00 for students w/ ID; $2.00 for scheduled student groups. Discount w/ AAA membership.   A $2 Donation is requested for admission to the Chesterfield County Museum and $1.00 for the Old Jail..  The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virgina's gift shop is located inside Magnolia Grange.

Portions of this article were extracted from the book, “Chesterfield County, Early Architecture and Historic Sites,  Jeffrey  M.  O’Dell, 1983, County of Chesterfield, Virginia :  (On sale at the Magnolia Grange Gift Shop or at the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia)    

Copyright © 2014 Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia  P.O. Box 40,10201 Ironbridge Road                                Chesterfield, VA 23832      804-796-7121