The Bermuda Hundred Campaign
Point of Rocks takes its name from a 60-foot high sandstone cliff that stood along the Appomattox River. Captain John Smith made note of the cliffs at Point of Rocks during his explorations of the Appomattox River in 1608. Prior to English occupation the area was heavily populated by Native Americans. Evidence of their presence can still be found in the form of points, flakes and stone tools found on the site. As late as the 1970’s artifacts were retrieved from a cave (since collapsed) that was located along the cliffs facing the Appomattox River.
Like Spring Hill, Point of Rocks is associated with several prominent early families of Chesterfield County. In 1638, Christopher Branch became the owner of Kingsland, the eventual home for Spring Hill. Shortly afterward in 1642, Abraham Wood established a trading post at Point of Rocks. The land was then passed through various heirs in the Wood, Cox and Stratton families for 371 years, making Point of Rocks one of the oldest properties in the country continuously owned by one family. A connection between Spring Hill and Point of Rocks was made in 1814 when a member of the Cox family, George Cox Sr., purchased Spring Hill from Edward Branch for the sum of $4,140. The sale consisted of 414 acres.
During the Civil War
One of the strongest parallels between Spring Hill and Point of Rocks occurred during the Civil War The plight of the Gregory family at Spring Hill and the Strachan family at Point of Rocks were illustrative of the hardships that many local civilian families experienced.
The Bermuda Hundred Campaign and the Point of Rocks Hospital
In May of 1864, Gen. Benjamin F. Butler landed the 38,000 man Army of the James at Bermuda Hundred. Shortly thereafter, a Union field hospital was established at Point of Rocks. The Strachan family was forced from their property and the house they lived in became the surgeon’s quarters. The Strachan’s possessions were removed from the house and were thrown down the hill towards the river. Enon Baptist Church, where Rev. Strachan preached, was dismantled by Union troops and the wood was used in the first hospital buildings at Point of Rocks.