CHSV RESEARCH LIBRARY

Open to the Public

Monday - Friday

10 a.m.-4 p.m. 

Located in Historic Trinity Church

10111 Iron Bridge Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832

Telephone:  804-796-7152

Library: (804) 796-7121

Administrative Office: (804) 796-7131

 Founded in 1981, the Chesterfield Historical Society of VA research library collection contains around 25,000 items, 90% donated by local residents. FREE to visitors. Photocopy charges. Research request fee is $25.  Our Library Collection includes: 

 Ꚛ Maps:   A comprehensive collection (1607-2019) of county and regional maps, including the Colonial era, Revolutionary War, Civil War, Coal Mining, Railroads and Rivers, and more.                         Manuscripts: Original documents including diaries, church minute books, country store ledgers, family Bible records, letters, genealogy charts, and more.                                                                           Ꚛ Picture Collection:   Over 23,00 County photographs, from tin-types to digital. 

 ꚚRare Books: Includes out-of-print books and original manuscripts. Available to the serious historian by appointment. Many items have been photocopied for general use.     

 Ꚛ Cemetery Records: An alphabetical file of over 12,000 known burials in Chesterfield County recorded from family graveyards, church cemeteries and other resources

 Ꚛ Vertical Files: An extensive alphabetical file on people, places and events in Chesterfield County, including newspaper and magazine clippings, brochures, programs and flyers as well as promotional materials and historic records.

 Ꚛ Family History Files:  Research files on Chesterfield County families.  

 Ꚛ Census Records: From Tithables in the late 1700s to 20th Century census indices.

 Ꚛ Abstracts of Title Deed Searches:  From the mid-1800s thru to the 1930s.

 Ꚛ Periodicals:  Copies of select newspapers as well as genealogical publications. ​

CHESTERFIELD VETERANS DATABASE

The library's Chesterfield Veterans Database  is an on-going project which records over 7,000 individuals from every conflict since 1611, from the Colonial period thru to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Completing the database form will help us to keep the record current. 

                 Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia

                 P.O. Box 40, Chesterfield, VA 23838

                 Chesterfield, VA 23832  

                 Phone: 804-796-7121     Fax: 804-777-9643

                 Email: admin@chesterfieldhistory.com 

 Research Requests

Thank you for the opportunity to assist in your research on people, places, and events in Chesterfield County history. As the birthplace of the second permanent English settlement in the New World with the first hospital, coal mines, ironworks, tobacco farming, and many other significant events, we have a history we are proud to share! 
 
We are only able to conduct research on Chesterfield County history and residents

Please note that there is a minimum charge of $25.00 per research request. Copies and postage are extra. Upon evaluation of your request, you will be contacted to discuss the request and anticipated charge.

  Public Speaking Requests   

We can provide speakers to deliver PowerPoint presentations on the work done by the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia.  There is no charge.  Please call (804) 796- 7121.

We can provide an engaging and educational program for your next social function. This is a wonderful opportunity for churches, civic organizations, garden clubs and older adults to learn more about Chesterfield County’s history. We can provide a staff person in a period costume or offer a PowerPoint slide presentation. We offer a wide range of horticulture and history topics such as historic trees, medicinal herbs and plants, coal mining history, ghost stories, Civil War history and many other topics.

 

Free for private groups and groups outside Chesterfield County.

For a complete list of our programs click the link below or

call Bryan Truzzie, 804-751-4946 or Gina Love, 796-7121

                                                   HISTORY OF TRINITY CHURCH

The first church on this site was called Central Church, erected in 1855 on land owned by the Reverend George Nolley and his wife.

 It was an unusually large church which included a gallery for African-American members. Among the local population, the church became known as “Nolley’s Folly,” many residents believing it had been a joke to build such a large church. Central Church only lasted a few decades.  Loss of membership during the Civil War, when soldiers left and did not return, resulted in its demolition in 1871. At the time, the Methodist congregation’s closest church was located at Zion Hills, five miles away.  By 1887, the Chester and Chesterfield congregation determined they had enough members to support another church. Historic Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church South was built by Sam Ellison, a merchant and florist, on the former site of Central Church which land was, by then, owned by the Cogbill family.  On September 8, 1887, the corner stone was laid in the presence of a large gathering.  It served its congregation for 100 years until October 1987 when the congregation relocated and the building was purchased by Chesterfield County.  Since July 2013, the Chesterfield Historical Society of VA head office and research library have operated out of Historic Trinity Church.

Follow

  • Instagram
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2021 BY CHESTERFIELD HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF VIRGINIA.